02/05/2012

Ubuntu 12.04 & QGIS 1.8.0 RC1 Lisboa

A new startup screen activates
Help/About clarifies QGIS version as 1.8.0 Lisboa
But Synaptic Package Manage states the version is 1.9.90
What is important is that it works...for my needs
Even so the latest, things like "Join Attributes" will not appear until you reinstall the FTools plugin
Ubuntu 12.04 & QGIS 1.8.0 RC1 Lisboa

Akibat tabiat tersendiri, saya biasanya mengemaskini updates pada komputer setiap hari. Updates termasuk apa jua fail Ubuntu dan QGIS perlu di muat turun. Hari ni, saya bingung! Pertama, skrin startup baru menyatakan versi Masters tiada lagi dan diganti dengan 1.8.0 RC1 Lisboa. Kedua, saya tidak tahu apa maksudnya "RC1" tapi skrin startup nampaknya boleh tahan. Ketiga, semakkan pada Help/About konfirm yang ada bersama saya adalah versi 1.8.0 RC1 Lisboa. Keempat, semakkan pada Synaptic Package Manager menjelaskan yang terdapat pada saya adalah versi 1.9.90. Tapi yang paling penting adalah ianya masih berfungsi yakni memenuhi keperluan saya. Harap-harap keadaan saudara juga sama seperti saya.


Tetapi...
  • Jika QGIS masih tak dapat dipasang, cuba ikut langkah terkini disini.

Ubuntu 12.04 & QGIS 1.8.0 RC1 Lisboa

I have been doing the usual updates for my computer which by habit is on a daily basis. Updates cover whatever Ubuntu and QGIS patch files need to be downloaded. Today, I'm confused! Firstly, a new startup screen appears telling me I do not have the Masters version but a 1.8.0 RC1 Lisboa. Secondly, I do not know what "RC1" means but the startup screen does look nice. Thirdly, a look under Help/About confirms what I have is a 1.8.0 RC1 Lisboa version. Forthly, a check under the Synaptic Package Manager tells what I have with me is the 1.9.90 version. But the most important thing as far as I am concern is that it works, i.e. it fulfills my needs. Hope it does for you too.


But...
  • If QGIS still failed to install following the above, read the latest way to I maneged to install QGIS here.

4 comments:

  1. RC1 is the feature frozen master, this is due to the new release cycle we adopted. see this video for tim explaining
    ciao

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't seem to run QGIS Lisboa on Ubuntu at all...

    at first it was crashing, now it just fails to load.

    as with the upgrade after Ubuntu 12.04 came out, it seems to hang up on the python portion...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Base on my experience, QGIS is very sensitive if the computer operating system is not in tip-top condition and may give hiccups. You may have to first run the Synaptic Package Manager and run 'fixbrokenpackages' under Edit. Then make sure all update files have been updated.Using Software Sources, I make sure I download from 'main server' not even from 'Malaysia'. If even after that, it fails and my QGIS app still gives problem, I will do the last resort and install a fresh clean Ubuntu and from experience it never fails.

      Delete